Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Suppliments vs pharmaceutical drugs...

New Blog post for non bloggers...As I was researching this morning to plead my case DR Dai this about managing pain I am in I learned a few things. The ER doc diagnosed me with myalgia and arthralgia in short myalgia is muscle pain arthralgia is joint pain. I have decided that it is my joints that are the culprit not the muscles. The Lyrica that the dr wants me to take is for nerve pain and fibromyalgia, it has many sideeffects ...it is not for joint pain. When I first learned I would be one weekly taxol I joined a group through breat cancer.org that is all women who are one weekly taxol... we have exactly the same treatments. One of the ladies goes to a breast center where a pharmacist on site works with her oncologist to get her meds right as well as to let her use suppliments and vitamins. Of the women there MANY complained of the same joint pain I have and of the same intensity. The woman I mentioned said her dr/phar suggested taking b6 b12 and L glutamine.Of the MANY women I talk to in that group all of the ones using L Glutamine have had relief of not only Anthralgias but have not developed neuropathy that is permanent as the women that did not take it.So I immediately went and bought them it was like $4 a bottle for the B vitamins and the L glutamine was under $20 in powder form as you have to take a high dosage. I went to Dr dai when I started with this pain an asked if I could take them...she said I could take the B vitamins not the L glutamine cause she didn't know enough about it. So, I let it rest. So, today I go and search L Glutamine again to see if this is an option it is natural available over the counter low cost, no side effects... I find a government study using L glutamine on patients doing weekly taxol which I am attaching the link to...so I read the study and click for the results and what do I see? Study closed due to limited  funding! Heres my point this bottle of lyrica has a million things it can do to you including kill yourself be aggressive towards someone else...harm organs yada yada. But somehow it is prescribed and patients and insurance pay over $200 per bottle and put this garbage in their body. But theres not enough funding to test a natural supplement that I can get the testimony of many women going through the same chemo treatments as me WORKS! Sounds fishy to me. Really fishy...Anyways so I will tell her today that this is arthralgia... suggested treatment is  corticosteroids though not widely recommended as they do long term harm, and opiods. IN THE CORRECT DOSAGE. Also found through the Taxol (my chemo) site study that more patients with weekly taxol get this joint pain then even those getting the higher dose 3 week course... So in short this is not all in my mind I am not a seeker...and what shes giving me is not enough and I am armed educated and ready for battle. Now if only I can get these achy joints out of bed and get ready to go...Hopefully the next you hear from me I will be in the chemo chair and have the correct meds to help me through this.
http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/trial/113357/Glutamine-In-Preventing-Myalgia-And-or-Arthralgia-In-Patients-Who-Are-Receiving.html
be sure to click the "click here for results"

No comments:

Post a Comment