Thursday, August 15, 2013

Quality or quantity of life...??

Here are the 5-year survival rates for Stage 3 breast cancer:
•Stage 3A: 67%
•Stage 3B: 41%
•Stage 3C: 49%
I am right on the line between stage 3A and Stage 3B due to the amount of tumors the size of them and the three types of cancer and the fact I had five nodes positive for cancer.

      My survival rate for 5 years is 60-67% at best without changing dosage with having had clear margins and both breast removed with having lymph node dissection with having 4 rounds A/c chemo and 12 consecutive doses Taxol at full strength doing the taxol weekly at full strength adds 14% to my survival rate over doing it bi weekly or every 3 weeks. That's why it is such a big deal to me the taxol has been the big guns all along It is the chemo that could keep me alive it targets the metastisis In my lymph nodes... then I still need 5days week 6.5 weeks radiation Lupron induced menopause then 10 years hormone therapy...all that gets me to the 60- 67%.
I will do the week break it will allow me to get the girls off to the first day of school which I am scheduled for blood work on and let me get to Magee Breast cancer surgeon which I was gonna have to reschedule due to chemo that day and cant be at two places at one time. And I would like their opinion on what to do as well. Since January diagnosis I have had mammo,ultrasound,20 biopsies, 4 surgeries including radical mastectomies, port placement, polyp removal from cervix. 28 appts in Pittsburgh in 30 days. ct scan of heart , mri of brain, full bone scan, two pelvic ultrasounds,ultrasound of heart, and I have been to chemo center two times a week since April 1st once for bloodwork once for chemo and almost every week one more time for help with pain and nausea usually to ER. One week was so bad I went for fluids 5 days in a row. I have been bedridden nearly the entire time. So I will give my body that break for that week...it has amazed me my body has held up through all of this.

     I battle back in forth in my mind of whats more important five years of me being able to jump on a trampoline and take them to kennywood and do normal stuff without pain... or having pain from the chemo that may be permanent and not be able to do so much but have a longer more limited life... Very hard choice to make...
     The other day Tori snuck in my bed again and when she woke up she rolled over with a huge smile and said "Dood Mornin" yes Dood not good...lol I hadn't slept all night and was so tired and she caught me by surprise and I was in pain and crying a little before I noticed her being awake. So she snuggles up to me asks me whats wrong. I said Mommy is sick and tired of being sick and tired...but Im okay... I said what if there was a magic pill that could make me go to sleep for the next 5 weeks till this chemo would be over... She thought hard then answered truthfully and said " well I would be glad you didn't hurt, but I sure would miss talking to you, so I would rather you stay awake" . Thinking back that's enough said...even in bed , even with constant pain I have to give this my all... I will take a one week break the week school starts then I am doing 100% dose chemo or at the very least reduced dose with one added on at reduced dose to make it up so I get every drop of this chemo... I owe it to them to be here for those "dood Mornins"
     But I am praying hard that God cured my cancer and leaves me without this tremendous pain so I can have a life, make a difference, help others, and most of all love my husband and raise these girls...
    

2 comments:

  1. You will make it my sweet friend. I know everyone talks about the light at the end of the tunnel. Just believe, you will be stepping into the sunshine, when you get out of the tunnel, and you will own it. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete