Saturday, August 31, 2013

Doctor withholding meds to to expense.


     After 21 chemo sessions My Medical Oncologist actually HEARD me when I said the nausea meds and the pain meds are not enough, I am suffering, and going to the hospital which is putting me in danger due to the germs that are there. So I started going three days per week to the cancer center Monday for bloodwork, Wednesday for chemo and Friday for anti nausea meds via my port...
    
     Horrible headache...nausea...heartburn...sinus pain and nosebleeds...along with the severe joint pain... ... Oh yeah and did I mention tomorrow is chemo again...Not wanting to feel this bad going in but it is what it is...Tomorrow will be round 21 of chemo... down to the final 3...I will be there just wish I didn't feel so crummy going in... accumulative effects are brutal... BUT YAY IM DOWN to the FINAL 3!!!! Praying for the strength and perseverance to make it...This is hard....
     
Made it through chemo round 21... Thank you Mom and Dad for taking me and for joking and making the unbearable, bearable...DR. Dai (now that I only have two chemos left) finally gave my kytril pills that is what I go get IVs of on Fridays... But she said don't take them a lot they are $125 dollars a pill and are really strong, so that's why I don't give them to patients even those with... severe nausea??? I was like, what??? My insurance paid for them , but why would you have something available to help someone that is truly suffering and withhold that info...not to mention now I do not have to drag myself to cancer center on Fridays cause it is the have same med I have here now...Why wait till the end to make this easier on me? btw my pain meds are now also so much better long acting oxy and then 4 hour dilaudid to cover breakthrough pain...so I should be much better... Though this chemo exhausted me far more than any others Took Mom Dad and Bubby to get me into the house...and then Mom changed my clothes...Steve came home shortly after and It took a long time with him holding me up to get to the bathroom...then he had to carry me back to bed. DR Dai said it is not heart or lungs just chemo induced exhausted...and normal...
    
      Real quick update as I know you guys worry if you don't see a post...BTW I love you for that... I had a terrible night... I literally slept maybe 30 minutes the entire night... I was so weak and my legs in such pain, nausea and had the worst thirst ever... so I was forced to get up every single hour to go to the restroom carrying my bucket even though it is only a few minutes from my bed I cannot ...make it alone. My legs were shaking from the exhaustion was faint feeling had terrible night sweats... Thank God for Steve who never made me ask he listened for every little move I made and got up with me EVERY time he helped me get to the toilet everytime and when I was plain too exhausted to even attempt another step he CARRIED me back to bed ,everytime without a single complaint... I love this man without him My Mom and Dad and sis in laws I honestly do not think I would be alive. Wish I had a better update but this is so hard... the new pain meds do handle the pain a little better so far and th nausea meds helped a little more too but I think both may take a while to build up in my system before I get some real relief... I was hoping to sleep today but the steroid rush is till here and I cant sleep, not to mention I have such hot flashes from them and my now steroid puffy cheeks are so red. I was able to sit up enough to help the girls get ready in my bed this morning... It is nice that Savannah still asks me to do her hair sometimes ; I asked Dr Dai how long after chemo to expect all of this pain and she said the nausea issues go away pretty quickly but the bone pain I can expect to stick around for quite a long time perhaps up to a year...as the arthralgia is not just from inflammation it is accompanied with nerve damage that may hopefully heal with time. Steve did have to go to get his van repaired and may have some small jobs today, I have been able to with a lot of effort make it to the restroom and he set me up with food near my bed...We talked about getting a wheelchair or a walker for these real hard days but neither will fit between my bed and the clawfoot tub beside it... so I would have to walk most if the way... Thank God I have a Big strong Hubby Steve Zitney I love you...I thanked him so many times last night as he first let me lean on him then eventually carried me and he said we we are just dancing...
    
Yesterday I had the nicest visit with my Uncle Digger (Cliff) but always Digger to me... He is my Dads oldest brother and despite fighting cancer himself and enduring chemo he came here to wish me well and brought a beautiful card from the Binnstown Lions Club and himself...with a far too generous donation in it. My Dad just happened to be here as he took my girls fishing then taught them to bread... and fry it...And brought corn on the cob to go with it. So tgey git to visit too. Was so nice to see my Uncle it has been years. I tell you what the Laceys may not be known for their affectionate side, but they sure have shown me love and have rallied around me...And I am proud to be a Lacey. Kelly Lacey Hunt, Don Lacey, Mike Lacey, Kathy Moore, Debra Pettit...I love you all we may not see each other often but so many fond childhood memories are of you all... and I love you.

    August 24th...    This day should be filled with wonderful tings that happened as it is our 11th Wedding Anniversary, but I could not make it out of bed at all , never got out to get a card. Steve was going to go shopping for me and I told him please don't it would only make me feel worse that I couldn't do anything for him...So we will have a do over when this mess is all over. But cheated yet again both of us... I haven't gotten into too much detail about physical things as per the request of my husband. But when I decide to publish this blog into a book I feel the need to put it all out there so you truly get the grasp of what we have been dealing with as far as being in love and desperately needing to feel physical comfort and being toxic and sick and unable to have the very thing that could bring you some solace.
 

     August 26th
Well they were running late at the cancer center but blood work is done don't have results yet though, didn't stay and wait for them cause Steve needed to get to work. I am back home and BOY IS THIS HOUSE QUIET... I hobbled into my craft room and am praying I can finish the gifts for the nurses within the next three weeks. Then I will be done with chemo... I can't believe I have made it this far! ... Though today I was led to ask the nurse and then the head nurse about volunteering at the cancer center...they said they do have a position for that but that people say they will do it but don't show up...so right now they have no volunteers. I have to speak to the center manager and get clearance to do it ...she said it entails holding hands, talking to patients and just helping them through... As soon as I am well enough and able to drive I will be there (probably after radiation) God willing.... Without friends family and prayers I could not have made it through this... I will not desert others that I may be able to help, and I think this is the perfect place to start to try to make positive changes and do what I can in little ways at least to make this easier for those suffering through this hideous disease... I have been forever changed by this journey and will never turn my back on them. There is a support group at the hospital I could join and the nurses suggested I do that long ago but was always too sick and would rather be hands on...The cancer center nurses are wonderful but they run all day they are so busy...the rest of the center is lacking in things...and you all know through my postings that some things are in dire need of change there...Hoping that along the way maybe I can see that that happens...Im thinking that going about this in a loving way may be more effective than going at it like a jackhammer...
 

1 comment: